Sunday 25 January 2015

AMAZING ADVENTURES

Yesterday was AMAZING !!!!! I started snowboarding when I was a kid about 10 or so and I loved it as I have said before. Saturday was my first time back out on the hill in about 5 years. I was terrified to say the least. But this was something I wanted back in my life so badly. 

I emailed a group in my area that had adaptive skiing and asked if they would be willing to work with me. They were and I had my first meeting with them on Saturday where they matched me up with a volunteer to be my sighted guide down the hill. I was nervous, I did not know the person who was going to be my guide so it was hard to put that kind of trust in a stranger. We started small and went down the bunny hill a few times to let me get my bearings and figure out what was going to work best for the both of us to get me down the hill safely. After we were comfortable with each other we moved on the the chair lift and went down the "big" hills. My first run down the hill was scary. When I would catch a little speed my brain was yelling STOP NOW ! ARE YOU CRAZY ! but after a while I was able to loosen up a little and it was a great experience. I love the rush I get from snowboarding and after a few runs I wanted that speed back. I asked my guide if he minded if we picked up the speed and he told me that I could go at my pace and he would keep me safe. Well that was my green light and I flew down the hill at speeds I thought were gone for me forever ! I haven't stopped smiling since I got home. 
 
I can not wait to get out again and keep this going. It is amazing to get something back that you thought was gone forever ! I can't get my sight back but I can get my life back ! Slowly but surely ! 

Until next time 
Ashley and Rick 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley I just got done reading your post titled AMAZING ADVENTURES. And found it extremely interesting. I would love to share this post on my blog Blind All Around the World. http://blindallaroundtheworld.blogspot.com
    Please let me know if I can.

    Thank you Chelsea stark

    ReplyDelete