Monday 23 February 2015

How do I do it !

Hello Everyone ! Hope you are all well. I checked the stats of my blog and cannot believe that so many people have read my story, and keep reading ! I would like to thank everyone of you for taking the time to read my blog it means the world to me !

I would like to take the time to answer a few questions about how I do some things around my house. I get asked how I do certain things in my day to day life so today I am going to try to answer those questions.

I am going to put pictures of a few things that I use :
First is my CCT (Closed Circuit TV ) It is a large monitor with a camera that enlarges the text on the screen as big as needed and can change from black on white to white on black and this is what I use to see things like kids agendas, mail and so on it is really hard on my eyes to use and I cannot use it for any length of time but it really does help for quick things.

 Next is a braille labeller I use this to label things like jars of pasta in my cupboard and other things around the house. It is very handy it spits out a sticker labeller similar to a dymo labeller or something like that.
My broiler and slate and stylus, these are what I use to write things in Braille. I am very grateful that I learnt braille in High School, I would be a lot farther behind in getting my life back had I not learnt this skill. I will make grocery lists, or write my speeches for toastmasters with these tools.
 This little gem is called a pen friend. It will read labels that I can record using the buttons on the pen. I use it for lots of things around my house such as spices, things in the freezer ( all meat feels the same once frozen), medications and many more things in my house. It is a god send ! And the labels can be rerecorded on so that is amazing and very useful !

This is my liquid level indicator, you simply put it on the side of a cup and pour whatever you want in the cup. When the liquid hits the prongs it beeps very loudly. I use this more for hot liquids but I am not going to lie more often I just stick my finger over the edge of the cup ha ha ! But when I have company over and it is just rude to stick your finger in their cup I will use this !


These are only a few of the things that I use daily. I also have puff paint and raised dots on my appliances like my stove, microwave and washing machine and measuring cups. There is always a way to things and that is the biggest thing for me. I have to find a way to do everything I don't want my vision loss to define what I can and cannot do. I am still looking for a way to sort my laundry that I have not figured out yet but give me some time and I will come up with a good way !

Hope this answers some of the questions on how I do things. If you enjoy reading my blog or have any questions please leave me a comment and share my blog !

Until next time !
Ashley and Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment