Monday 11 August 2014

Busy Busy Busy

Life has gone from boring and long to wow in a short amount of time. When my vision really went down the crapper I was wondering what the heck am I going to do and what am I going to fill my time with. I wanted to be productive and successful and all of those things like everyone else. So I began looking into what I could do.

This blog began as a way for me to express my frustrations and help to educate people on vision loss and blindness. I also began looking into other things I could get involved in, I found a couple of amazing things online. One of them is a site called Vision Aware www.visionaware.org. They are a plethora of information on vision loss and living with vision loss, I became one of the peer advisors and now am a regular contributing member to their web site. I also found another organization called VIRN (Vision Impaired Resource Network). I am currently working with them on things like advocacy and education for the public as well as those whom are new to vision loss. I have started volunteering with the CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind) and helping some of the clients that are new to vision loss and want a companion. I have also gotten more involved with the toastmasters group in my community that I was involved in. I have a few other things that I am wanting to look into maybe a youtube channel those sorts of things, but all these new adventures have given me a lot to do and are defiantly keeping me busy at this time. I finally feel like I am starting to get my purpose back which is a great feeling.

Update on my guide dog, I leave in 19 days and am starting to get things organized for when I leave . I will be gone for the kids first day of school so I need to have everything ready for my husband so that this will go ok for him. (I am a little worried). I will also get back the day after my sons 7th birthday so I need to have things in order for him to still have a good day while I am away. I am really sad that I will miss these things while I am away but I also know that the kids are in good hands and it will be worth it in the end.

I will be leaving on Friday this week to go and see my sister in Calgary Alberta with my mom and my kids. This should be lots of fun minus the 9 hour car ride to get there. We have lots planned for our short trip so it will be interesting.

Until next time
Ashley

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, I think you are doing such a great work. Starting a blog to educate people about vision loss is a very strong motivation. Visionaware is a common source within the visually impaired community. Today, I'd like to share with you these little-known glasses for visual disability that I heard recently. It's a tiny camera attachment that snaps to your eyeglasses frame and simply read text and relays to the wearer discreetly via built-in speakers. I heard that it's pretty good at reading regardless of the surface whether it be an email, a newspaper or a street sign. I think it's a revolutionary wearable device for visual disability. Let me know if you heard about it, if so what do you think?
    Warm Regards,
    Seth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Seth,
    Thanks for your comment. I have heard of this device and have had the opportunity to try it out. It does in fact work pretty well.
    My blog has moved feel free to check it out and follow on my journey at blindmovingon.com

    ReplyDelete